.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Redneck Hoo-ha

This blog all started with a simple story. A story about a man in his never-ending quest to save all the kind women of the world. See what it got him? That's right, distracted and writing about, well, anything he can wrap his head around. All content theoretically copyrighted, so send me money.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Just a late update for those interested:

We started our Open Mic Live show this past Monday night. Turnout was lighter than hoped, but after all the cancellations and difficulties we faced getting bands scheduled in there, it was actually better than anticipated by the time Monday evening rolled in. We only had one actual band come to play, but we did have members from a second band and had assurances from a member of a third band for this upcoming Monday - his actual words were, "I'll beat their asses and MAKE them come."

That's the sort of committment I like to hear.

All in all, it was a good learning experience and a really good time. The crowd stayed out there and enjoyed both our music and the music supplied by the other cats who came out. We're getting some advertising put out shortly and we expect more bands in the weeks to come - wish us luck.

Oh, and the best part - the owner was happy. And in business, that's really all that matters, right? He had happy customers... hell, he had customers on a Monday night - "Best Monday night EVER" he said.

Can't beat that. Not with a stick even.
.
.

8 Smack Me:

At 17/5/06 15:55, Anonymous Anonymous flipped me...

I think things went well monday night as it was the first night. I do believe things will pick up to the point you will definitely have to start booking the bands.

 
At 17/5/06 18:15, Blogger T - Another Geek Girl flipped me...

If you beat them--
they will come.

How can I make an informed decision with no music to listen to?

My theory on building a venue-- hot chicks bring in the bands. Bands bring in the hot chicks. Once you get the ball rolling it should be self sustaining.

 
At 17/5/06 19:12, Blogger Pollyanna flipped me...

I have no experience whatsoever on this whole thing, as I have only been to a Dep Lepord concert and Robert Plant years ago. yes, I am serious. i am a dork. That being said, I think Tricia up there has the right idea.

 
At 17/5/06 21:21, Anonymous Anonymous flipped me...

My opinion toe tapping, butt shaking good music brings in the hot chicks and the rest will follow..

 
At 18/5/06 09:42, Blogger Rebecca flipped me...

I'm sorry...I quit reading at "I'll beat their asses and MAKE them come."

Yes please.

:D

HHNT!

 
At 18/5/06 17:09, Blogger wopanese flipped me...

shari - We knew that was going to happen this week

tricia - well... go to myspace.com/uscheese and check out 4 of Kirk's semi-completed tunes. (we haven't recorded my harmonies and lead licks yet... and we'll be switching in some of my tunes when we get them recorded...)

jodi - open mic. People come out and can get up on the mic and do whatever... well, within reason. Hopefully, some of them have some musical talent. Some do. Some... well, need work. Others are great. It's how many people get started into the music scene and hookup with other musicians and form bands...

shari - are you finally starting to see the light there?

becca - sokay. I'd be more than happy to demonstrate... but that's cause I'm easy like that.

 
At 19/5/06 05:15, Anonymous Anonymous flipped me...

I've always seen the light on the hot chicks. What I haven't seen the light on is why some of you seem to think you have to flirt and make the girls think your single. My comment earlier was good toe tapping, butt shaking music brings in the hot chicks, not single guys with good toe tapping, butt shaking music, It doesn't matter if your single and flirty, if the music is good they will come whether you allow them to hang all over you and flirt, talk shit to, whatever. It's the music!Thats what you are up there playing for, thats what you enjoy is watching people get up and dance to YOUR music, watching people sing YOUR songs. You guys pour alot out in your music it's just a shame to me that you don't feel confident enough with yourselves to go out there and have a good time without trying to make the girls think your single.

 
At 19/5/06 09:36, Blogger wopanese flipped me...

shari - I'll that that as a "no". And confidence in our music and ability is certainly NOT the issue here. Playing live is certainly NOT all about the music - it's about the PERFORMANCE. It's a SHOW. I've seen a ton of people play awesome music but I could have cared less about them because their show was dull.

Take Keller Williams. He's AWESOME on the guitar. Simply, flat-out, one of the finest guitarists on this planet or any other. Live? Hmm... could just as easily hear a recording of a live show and get the same effect - with the benefit of being able to sit at home and chill.

Now Michael Franti of Spearhead? That's a SERIOUS Crowd Ho... and he MAKES a live show FUN by what he does on stage.

It's not just the music... it's a show.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Stupid Quiz said I am "Totally Smart!" How stupid are you? Click here to find out!