.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Redneck Hoo-ha

This blog all started with a simple story. A story about a man in his never-ending quest to save all the kind women of the world. See what it got him? That's right, distracted and writing about, well, anything he can wrap his head around. All content theoretically copyrighted, so send me money.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Me Me Monday 2-71

2-71 : I have a terrible "Save the Damsel in Distress" complex

Indeed, it is true.

I can't stand to see a woman cry. I cannot stand to see a woman being mistreated. I once considered this to be a great thing of moral value, a point of personal pride that I still believed in some things like chivalry and courtesy. I still open doors for ladies and the elderly. I try to be conscientious to people in line at the store - if I have a ton of stuff and they only have a few, there are many times when I will let the person behind me step ahead of me.

Of course, there is a flip side to this. I like also to be thanked, being that it is the polite AND CORRECT thing to do. If someone has done you a favor, such as open and hold the door for you, even if you did not ask for it, the proper AND CORRECT thing to do is to thank them. And if, say it is a restaurant, there is a line there and having held the door open would cause me to lose my place in line... well, the proper AND CORRECT thing to do would be to allow me the spot I would have had had I not been polite in the first place. That is only fitting.

And yet, some people simply take advantage of my kindness. I won't go to any great lengths to describe the sort of people who simply ignore the niceties most, but there is a group of people of a particular sex and a particular race who, by my experience, are simply the rudest. I won't go into making a list from top to bottom but the results might actually startle you as to who were the most polite and least.

Then again, maybe not. You cats out there seem to be a pretty perceptive bunch, on the whole - although SOME of you, again - not gonna point fingers - didn't really catch my whole HNT pic thing.

Have a great Monday anyway!
.

10 Smack Me:

At 8/5/06 13:31, Blogger The Funky Bee flipped me...

UUggh, I hate rude people! And I bet I know who the rudest are...at least in my experience. When I hold the door for someone a simple thank you is expected. Sometimes I wonder why it seems so hard for some people...

 
At 8/5/06 19:28, Blogger Pollyanna flipped me...

Well, I WOULD say thank you if you held the door open for ME or gave up your place in line for ME. And I am a somewhat middle-aged white woman. :)

 
At 8/5/06 21:11, Anonymous Anonymous flipped me...

I have to agree with you!! There have been several times I have held the door for someone and they just walk through like it was expected of me to do.

I also can't stand rude drivers! You know the ones that will block the road when their light is red and yours is green and neither of you can go anywhere because they seem to "think they are more important than anyone else"!

The world is full of inconsiderate rude people I just try and remember that one day karma will come around to smack them in the a##!!!

 
At 8/5/06 23:04, Blogger mrs. awesome flipped me...

i won't hazard a guess as to who is the rudest of them all...but i do hate rudeness. why does no one say thank you when i hold the door, but people see you struggling with a stroller and toddler and just stand there and watch? i also hate it when people can't be bothered to say thank-you or send a note. an email does NOT count, in my opinion. as the technology grows, so does the lack of manners.

 
At 8/5/06 23:52, Blogger Kristin flipped me...

i can't stand to see a woman cry either... keep your tears to yourself, lady!

liar. i am a weepy mess.

i would thank you for door holding and i would pony up the spot... cuz i am nice too!!

 
At 9/5/06 07:58, Anonymous Anonymous flipped me...

Every time you talk about your complex all I hear are lyrics:

"and what if there are no damsels in distress
what if i knew that and i called your bluff?
don't you think every kitten figures out how to get down
whether or not you ever show up?"

I know angry girl music isn't your style, but give it a listen. You may learn something about strong women that say thank you.

 
At 9/5/06 12:20, Blogger wopanese flipped me...

pickalish - I definitely feel your pain

bee - yes they do.

jodi - most white women are polite... not all, of course - no race/age/sex group is perfect, in my experience

shari - rude drivers like that... they need to get smacked upside their heads

grody - agreed... of course, as far as email goes... I think it depends on how well the email was written - did they take time and care in crafting the response - cause that shows effort. Me? I'm terrible at snail mail - and when I send it, out of kindness I type it - otherwise, it's not really legible - some say I took the same course doctor's take in handwriting. Probably so. I wanted to be one, when I was a kid... for a while anyway.

kristin - of course you are - hey, you were nice enough to comment here

amy - I dunno... that kinda sounds like the angry girl is saying they don't need the chivalrous actions... which is fine - I know most people can do for themselves... but it's not likely to stop me from being kind just to be kind, and to be chivalrous where possible. Nothing wrong with being helpful, is there?

 
At 9/5/06 12:50, Anonymous Anonymous flipped me...

No, being kind or helpful - nothing wrong with that. I was thinking more on the "save the damsels in distress complex" you profess to have, as well as the followup in your list - #71 "It unfortunately gets abused sometimes." Kindness between people, men or women, is lovely and charming and should be, as you noted, appreciated. Chivalry - the honoring of a woman by a man -is more and more rare and it should be lauded. But, for all those folks that employ the role of saviour, they need to realize that they are getting something in return. It is just not usually a thank you.

 
At 9/5/06 14:26, Blogger wopanese flipped me...

amy - well okay - never said it had to be the words "thank you"...

julie - indeed. I was simply saying how it is related to being chivalrous in opening doors, defending the weak, etc etc...

 
At 10/5/06 15:01, Blogger wopanese flipped me...

julie - mmmkay... now I'm curious of course. my subject wandered because, well, that's how my mind "works" - I'll do better next time staying to the task

kenny - ahh... interesting numbering scheme, of course. Wouldn't you know it? Last night I just up and went and did it again for yet another person... and you BOTH know her, actually!

And, SERIOUSLY, this topic was TOTALLY chosen at random. I swear! Not sure why everyone thinks I am "trying to say something" all the time... well, I do that SOMETIMES, but not this time. Really. Seriously.
.
.
Dammit - no one ever believes me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Stupid Quiz said I am "Totally Smart!" How stupid are you? Click here to find out!