.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Redneck Hoo-ha

This blog all started with a simple story. A story about a man in his never-ending quest to save all the kind women of the world. See what it got him? That's right, distracted and writing about, well, anything he can wrap his head around. All content theoretically copyrighted, so send me money.

Monday, November 28, 2005

The Muse was upon me...

Actually, she was. Muse-in-training popped me on the head for details about the gig I played this Saturday past. Well, we were playing in a Sports Bar and were SUPPOSED to start around 9:30pm. Now, I love my Va Tech Hokies, being one myself, but we got pushed back because ESPN just HAD to televise their game against UNC. Va Tech stomped the powderpuff blue boys from UNC, 30-3, by the way - so that part was great.... but we couldn't play till the game was done... started at 7:45pm... ended at 11:00pm-ish, sound check, start by 11:20 ish.... Hey, it's a sports bar.

On the plus side, we had our percussionist sitting in with us, and Todd... he's damned good - he adds that whole funky groove that really helps move butts. And moving butts = a good show, right? Well, for some reason, the crowd just really wasn't receptive - most likely cause the only people still around were there for the game, not for the music. Then I found out the manager never hung up our flyers - which kinda sucks - advertising is always a good thing, right? We had really cool flyers too cause Kirk, the band leader in all but name, does graphic arts as a side gig, so... Plus, it was T-G week, so a lot of the peops that come out, well, were out of town... etc etc. Just a lame crowd night. We did have one VERY happy table and an EXTREMELY friendly wannabe fan, though... she was very drunk and VERY amusing... too bad she was also a bit on the VERY scary side. Then add in technical problems with the sound AND with the light boards - both at once, which really pissed off Kirk... which affected HIS mood... we just never really gelled into a good groove. We played well, we sang pretty well - I sang as well as could be expected, with a voice still 70% gone, and we had a good selection of tunes. We just never really felt the groove like we did Tuesday night at the impromptu band practice/performance at the usual Open Mic night. We slam jammed hard, had the crowd jumping/hootin/hollerin... and we all felt that groove. But Saturday night? Not so much.

Still, we got paid in full for only 2 hours of "work" instead of the 3-4 we expected, so I guess we really can't complain. But I'll admit it - I'm a "crowd ho" - it's what I live for when I play. Money is all good and well, but I love to hear/see the crowd get off to what we play. That's a better drug than any you can buy. oh well. Maybe I'll score some Thursday at our next 2-man gig....
.

0 Smack Me:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Stupid Quiz said I am "Totally Smart!" How stupid are you? Click here to find out!