.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Redneck Hoo-ha

This blog all started with a simple story. A story about a man in his never-ending quest to save all the kind women of the world. See what it got him? That's right, distracted and writing about, well, anything he can wrap his head around. All content theoretically copyrighted, so send me money.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Don't Know Where They Come From Sometimes



I've been writing a ton of lyrics lately. Haven't been this productive since before I met the most recent ex. Not claiming they're all good and sometimes I have no idea how they're going to come out of the pen until they do. Here is a tiny clip from my latest work:

Shattered pictures paint the floor
The empty bottle lies to me, begging for more
A thousand pieces of me stare me down
The room starts spinning though I'm holding my ground

The label reads my name one last time
The hollow sound, as it falls, speaks my crime
Shallow water calls to me, comforting
Darkness rains down in silence she brings

Of course, they can't all be as "happy" as my crowd favorite "Men Are Assholes", but that's to be expected I suppose.

It's an interesting exercise, writing lyrics. It is definitely something that improves over time, for those who are just starting out. This is not to say mine are great, but what I have here is a HUGE improvement over the absolute CRAP I was writing 5 years ago. Time was, I could only write semi-decent lyrics when I was sad, angry, or upset because when happy, all I wrote was the sap-happy-crappy garbage you hear in ever trashy, overdone, cliche'd love song on the radio today. I believe they might actually use Mad Libs to write some of those songs... probably something like:

I miss you so much, _________(name or endearing term)
I can't _______(verb) since you've been gone
My soul is so ________ (adjective) when you're far away
I know our love it can't be wrong

I mean, let's be honest. You could probably copy a bunch of lyrics from 10 different love songs and just paste 'em together to make another - might even end up with some other song that's already been published and cranked out of the crap-happy LA music machine.

But that's just my opinion.

And though I'm less often wrong than Dennis "I'm a non-funny Conservative Dork Now" Miller, it still happens from time to time. (yeah, no sarcasm there)
.
.

4 Smack Me:

At 1/9/05 12:13, Blogger Chick flipped me...

Mad Libs?

You're right...

I was intrigued with your photgraphic comments on Heather's site...so I had to stop by.

I'll be back...

 
At 1/9/05 20:01, Blogger HS flipped me...

I agree with you about the lyrics...mine have progressed...or at least I am able to pull more emotion into them than when I first started...(or maybe I've just had more hardships than when I first started...hmmm its a mystery)

My latest song (that I finshed today) is my theme song I've decided...I haven't posted it yet...and I'm workin on those MP3s...when I fix my sound card. :)

 
At 2/9/05 09:40, Blogger wopanese flipped me...

chick - lookin forward to it

hs - let me know when you post it! And really, I've got SEVERAL sound cards scavenged from over the years... you SURE you don't want one? I shouldn't say anything - I've been recording my first cd for a couple years now...

 
At 22/11/05 22:23, Anonymous Anonymous flipped me...

Hi wopanese, been searching the web, and came accross your site. Looking at latest info on cat urine remover. this post, maybe not the perfect match-but intresting read anyway.. off to look for cat urine remover...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Stupid Quiz said I am "Totally Smart!" How stupid are you? Click here to find out!