.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Redneck Hoo-ha

This blog all started with a simple story. A story about a man in his never-ending quest to save all the kind women of the world. See what it got him? That's right, distracted and writing about, well, anything he can wrap his head around. All content theoretically copyrighted, so send me money.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Moncks Corner's Revenge - Part 5

Now, don't get me wrong. The people of Moncks Corner, for the most part (as you will see later), are fine folk. The town is a nice, quiet town, if just a bit backwater. It actually reminds me of the closing number from the South Park : Bigger, Longer, and Uncut movie, one of the finest musicals ever made:

Mountain Town Reprise
Chef:
. Everything worked out. What a happy end!
. Americans and Canadians are friends again.
. So let's all join hands and knock oppression down!
Choir:
. Good Lordy, I'm found!
The boys:
. Don't you know our little lives are now complete?
The moms:
. 'Cause Terrance and Phillip are sweet.
Sheila:
. Super sweet!
All:
. Thank God we live in this quiet, little, pissant, redneck, podunk, jerkwater, greenhorn, one-horse,
. mud-hole, peckerwood, right-wing, whistle-stop, hobmail, truck-drivin', old-fashioned, hayseed,
. inbred, unkempt, out-of-date, out-of-touch, white-trash..
The boys:
. Kick-ass!
All:
. Moun - tain town!

So, having made my disclaimer, let me continue with the tale...

I worked all day, setting up their software and fixing what was wrong. That first day went by like a charm and the shop supervisor was pleased. There was much rejoicing. Apparently, unbeknownst to me, one of the contacts from my home office had also told him that I was a pool-player. This much was true. I played in both an 8-ball and 9-ball league back in Richmond, and while I was no championship caliber player, I could hold my own against most people - I even had the occasional win against said type of competition, so I wasn't a total slouch. It turned out that the supervisor at the customer shop also liked to shoot pool a lot so he invited me for a few beers and a few racks at a local bar.

Now, let me explain something about Blue Laws to those of you not from the Bible Belt area. Blue Laws are basically a hold over from the overly-puritanical days of the colonies, and they are found in fair quantities in the Bible Belt... hence the name. The most noted of these laws are:
  • no working on Sunday - you know, at first glance this looks like a good thing... but picture this - if there is NO working on Sunday, that means no grocery store, gas station, bar, restaurant, or even a movie theater can be open. This is good for forcing community building by making church about the only social activity going on, but it can be a real pain in the ass come football (and beer) season.
  • no public alcohol sales - nuff said
Now in the greater area of South Carolina, the Blue Laws results in a few surprising results:
  • No alcohol sales on Sunday
  • No alcohol sales from grocery stores - this includes beer and wine.
  • they can't sell liquor in any bottle larger than just a few ounces. This means that the ABC/liquor store can only sell those tiny little bottles you find on airplanes or in hotel wet bars. This INCLUDES bars. Go check it out - it's weird watching bartenders in action down there. Click the picture for the story... seriously
  • In many locations, since bars are ILLEGAL, some places have "clubs" - when you are a member of a club, you can then buy alcohol beverages. So if you go to a bar, in order to buy a drink, you have to become a member. Period. Is that weird or what?
So, in order for me to just have a few beers and shoot pool with my newfound pool buddy, I had to go and fill out a club membership form and pay 5 bucks (which he paid for me - thanks, man!) to join. Once I did that, I could buy all the beer I wanted. Some places in South Carolina have, obviously, overturned these laws - mostly in the larger cities (of which there are a whole 2 in South Carolina) and the beach area, where they want their tourist trade to thrive with drunk visitors... like in Myrtle Beach.

Now then, the joint we went to was a single building establishment with a few pool tables and a bar - and they served beer in the can. Yep, classy. But we had a good enough time shooting pool and shootin the shit, as it were, but I couldn't escape the feeling that at least half that county was pointing their fingers at me and shouting "SINNER!!!"

Ah well, and so I crashed that night in the motel, ready for work the next day...
.
.

1 Smack Me:

At 28/2/06 14:18, Blogger Bill flipped me...

I know blue laws well. While ours here in Indiana aren't quite so restrictive as to require bars to use those 1 shot bottles, I stil think they're stupid. No alcohol sales on Sunday. Grocery stores can get a license to sell beer and wine in the store but it can't be cold. That may depend on the license though because I know some convenience stores sell it cold. Hard liquor is typically only available in a liquor store although they're not overseen by the state like the beverage commission run stores in some southern states. If you have a bar that serves food or a restaurant, you can serve alcohol on Sunday but only if 40% of your sales on Sundays is from food. There is no carry out on Sunday though and not all bars have a license to allow carry out anyway. I am confused however by the Walmart closest to me because they have a section with alcohol that only had beer and wine in it at first and now it has hard liquor too but it's accessible to anyone. When the local Meijer store lobbied to be able to sell hard liquor along with beer and wine, they had to set up a separate section that you couldn't enter unless you were 21 because it was basically considered a liquor store within a store. I'm not sure how Walmart is getting away with not doing it that way. Regardless of any of that, it's all ridiculous. I know we went on a camping trip to Missouri several years ago and you could buy Jack Daniels in a convenience store on a Sunday if you wanted to. I don't think Missouri's popuplation has really suffered because of it. lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Stupid Quiz said I am "Totally Smart!" How stupid are you? Click here to find out!