.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Redneck Hoo-ha

This blog all started with a simple story. A story about a man in his never-ending quest to save all the kind women of the world. See what it got him? That's right, distracted and writing about, well, anything he can wrap his head around. All content theoretically copyrighted, so send me money.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Alice's Restaurant it ain't

So I unleashed, for the 3rd performance in a row, my epic-length musical saga (otherwise known as "The Nympho Song") last night. And for the first time, I managed to feel mostly comfortable throughout the performance -> adding sounds effects and breaks as necessary to highlight moments and break up the monotony. I suppose I should really take the time to learn the song and ALL the lyrics, but it seems like an awful lot of effort learning a song that has 7 (as in SEVEN, not a typo there) single-spaced pages full of lyrics and notes in the margin, especially without knowing if the crowd is going to actually enjoy it enough to make it worth the while. Sure, I WROTE the song, but that doesn't mean I already memorized it. It's a lot of work.

But I could be wrong. It HAS happened before, at least two, well three, times before - but those are different stories for another time. What an ego, yeah?

Still, I did manage to squeeze a number of laughs out of the audience members that were actually listening, and that was nice. I suppose, at some point, if ever I actually manage to have a "following", then that song will be appreciated more; as it stands, it seems far too long a song to grab and hold the average listener's attention span. I mean, it took me about 10 minutes to get through the beast, and that was with me on hyperdrive going at "ludicrous speed" in an attempt to lose fewer listeners. I was really going plaid there for a while. Well, if anyone has any suggestions, just pass them along...

FYI , here is a portion of the one of the early verses:

I know you say you've got no limit, but that ain't true,
You claim that if it's been 3 hours, your balls turn blue

The song goes on from there... it works well enough when it falls into "the trilogy" of Tenacious D's "F*ck Her Gently" followed by "Vaseline" (a spin off parody I wrote using Bush's "Glycerine") and closed with "the Nympho Song". The first 2 usually get them warmed up and listening...

Perhaps I am stepping well ahead of myself.
Perhaps I am being far too ambitious.
I suppose that's possible.

Ahh well.

For now, the few people who have actually listened to it in whole have given me high praise... so perhaps that will be one of those "old school" things down the road, when only those who really paid attention for all those years, will actually recognize it.

Ever notice that about bands that have been around for a while? There are always some things that only the "old school" and very persistent fans can "get". Like the whole Jimmy Buffett parrot thing... or Phish's old "Language Lessons"...

and, YES, I know Phish is NOT around anymore as a group...
Honestly...

I'm just waiting for the reunion tours to commence.....
.
.
.
.

0 Smack Me:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Stupid Quiz said I am "Totally Smart!" How stupid are you? Click here to find out!